Like many credit unions, we rely on volunteers to help us to serve our members better and promote our services. We employ one full-time and two part-time members of staff, but there is a huge role for our volunteers in helping to meet our members’ needs.
All our volunteers are also members of the Credit Union. They have a good understanding of the things that matter to our members and that gives us an advantage over the more impersonal high street banks. Our members often compliment us on our personal service and for taking that bit of extra time and care.
There are lots of ways a volunteer can play a useful role in the Credit Union and appropriate training will be given for any role.
Some of the roles our volunteers do:
- General Office Assistant (assisting with the daily activities required to run the Credit Union office)
- Cashier/Counter Assistant (assisting members with enquiries and processing their transactions)
- Loan Officer/Loan Processor (running loan appointments/processing approved loans) Marketing Support Volunteer (assisting in recruiting new members and promoting our products/services)
- Project Support Volunteer (helping us to develop and run various projects) Community Champion (setting up savings clubs in community groups and churches)
- Workplace Champion (encouraging colleagues in your workplace to join us)
- Schools Savings Club Champion (opening savings clubs in schools)
If you have a set of skills you can offer that don’t fit into the roles above or you have an idea about a different role, we’d love to hear from you and work out a way that you can use your skills to help the Credit Union.
You can even aspire to join our Board of Directors or Supervisory Committee and play a part in developing the strategic direction of the Credit Union.
When you get involved as a volunteer with the Credit Union, you will:
- Learn new transferable skills
- Enhance your CV and your employment prospects with valuable experience
- Contribute to your Credit Union
- Make new friends
- Support something worthwhile
- Attend interesting events while promoting the Credit Union
- Make a real difference to your local community
The key skills we are looking for include:
- Commitment to the goals and values of the Credit Union
- Enthusiasm, integrity and honesty
- Dealing with people in a friendly and polite manner
- Good communication skills
- Basic numeracy
- Computer skills (desirable, not essential)
We offer full training to all volunteers and in return ask them for a few hours a week of their time and to become members. Volunteers are not paid, but expenses are covered.
If you are interested in joining our volunteer team, please complete the Volunteer Application Form at the bottom of this page and drop it in to our office or send it to us using any of the details on our Contact Us page.
If you want to know more before you complete a Volunteer Application Form, please get in touch and we’ll do our best to answer your questions.